Search This Blog

Sunday, January 04, 2004

Sound of the night

2:30 am

I suddenly woke up. I woke up swarmed with issues and problems.
I tried getting back to sleep. No luck. Problems won. I was
reading a book called 'Power of Now' before I went to sleep. So I picked the
book. The book is all about 'Now' aka 'Present moment awareness'.
In 'Now' you dont think about anything but absolutely be 'present'
with all your senses.

3:00 am

I wanted to give it ('Now') a shot to switch off my chirpy brain.
I closed my eyes and started listening to the sound of the night.
It was really peculiar, in a sense that I actaully pay little attention
to 'sound' on a normal night. To accentuate, I switched off the fan.
Listening to the night! Huh! I thought. I heard a continuous wooosh,
automobiles, dogs, tress, wind, crickets, some digital equipment,
something mechanical, someone opening my window, water drops, ...
wait a minute...someone opening my window?

3:15 am

I became very alert. I still closed my eyes fishing for that sound.
I heard it again. I opened my eyes and reharsed the scene of someone
entering my bedroom with a knife in hand, in my mind. I fared death.
Just for the kicks, I closed my eyes again and started listening to
the night.

3:45 am

Some kind of uneasy feeling took over me. Fuck 'Now', I thought.
I switched on the lights, TV and made myself a really big cup of coffee.

4:30 am

Took my byke (Fiero F2) out and headed towards KBR park. (KBR is a
densely vegetated park).

5:10 am

F2 was the only bike in the parking lot. It was dark and cold.
I bought a ticket and entered the park to finish my 3 Km walkathon.

5:20 am

I realised how stupid I was. I was the only soul as far as could see.
My thoughts drifted towards 'Now'. In that darkness and that
eerie stillness I suddenly felt very lonely and vulnerable.

5:30 am

I was listening to everything and looking at everything in some kind
of hyper alert mode. I just got tired and wanted to run. But someone
inside me insisted on wearing a 'brave' mask. I wore.

5:40 am

Have you ever walked listening to every sound in the woods? You would
be dead by the end of it. Just when my mind was almost halucinating I
heard someone calling me from a corner, "Excuse me". I turned around and
found a female. She must be in her mid twenties. She had a small body frame.

5:45 am

She wanted to know the way out. She said she was shit scared. I told her
the way out. She insisted on walking along with me. We walked for about
15 mins together. Females are less inhibitive about personal stuff. She told
me about her dad, her sister etc. She inquired about mine. I told her
very little about myself. After a while I joked to myself that she was just
a ghost.I thought may be "I see dead people". What the fuck was she doing
in the park? I didnt ask though.

6:05 am

We approached the main entrance. It was still considerably dark and cold.
She asked my name. I told mine. She had a cute smile. I didnt even ask hers.
I just said "Nice meeting you". I didnt offer to drop her.

6:25 am

I stopped at a cafe and ordered a chai. I felt a little perplexed about
the whole thing.

No comments: